Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wierd Day Today

Today was a Census day in Argentina. They do a manual census every 10 years, so it is the law that all businesses have to close, and no one can work. They only have essential services running. I had to go downtown for my Spanish lesson, so I took the subway downtown. There was only me and three other people on the train. Usually, we are squished in together like my toes in pointy shoes. When I got off at my station, the busiest part of the downtown in BA, there were no cars, no people and all the businesses were closed. It was so quiet, and very eerie. As I walked down to my teacher's place, I saw very few people on the street, and I felt like I was in a TV show where something dreadful had happened. Good thing we have some food at home, as you couldn't even buy a stick of gum anywhere in the city today. The stores can re-open at 8 pm tonight.
On top of that, the husband of the President of Argentina died of a heart attack this morning, suddenly. He was the past President of Argentina, and quite beloved, so people were also in shock and there will be a lot coming up with regards to his passing. Interesting times. I feel bad for the citizens, as now there will be unrest in the government, as he was expected to win the election next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment