Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fantastic Morning Not So Fantastic Afternoon

Manic 5

Manic 50


We were up and on the road by 8:00 am as we had a long day from Baie-Comeau to Labrador City. 550 km's 350 of which is gravel. The first 200 km's were the best riding of the trip so far- lots of twisties and no traffic. We stopped at 200 km at Manic Five, a large dam and powerplant in Quebec, supplying the province with 25% of the Province's power. Once we left Manic five, we were on gravel. The road was good, hard packed. We were starting to feel out in the boonies, as we saw our first live wildlife since we left on the trip, with the exception of a few deer. We slowed to see a fox standing on the road,proudly displaying its meal of the day, resembling squirrel. The next animal we came across was a small porcupine and I was really surprised to see how small it was, and actually had a tail.



Then, after about 70 km's of gravel, I rounded a corner to see freshly grated,sandy road. I adjusted my speed, but my bike started to wobble in the sand. Then my rear tire swung out and I knew I was going down. Brent saw me in the rear view mirror and instantly was at my side. As I sat up, I noticed a few bike pieces scattered around me, and I had pain in my shoulder. I was not a happy camper and may have used language not suitable to children. A truck pulled up to help and we and decided to take my bike and me back to Baie-Comeau for repairs, and Brent tried to offer me my clutch lever as a gift, which he thought would make a nice necklace. The two guys in the truck were real sweethearts and were working in Labrador City, on there way to pick up an Jetski in town. He followed us back to town, where I had xrays to confirm that my clavicle (right collarbone) was broken. Fancy that, my first broken bone ever. We are currently staying at the Grand Hotel in Baie-Comeau sorting out what to do with my bike while I take the 4 weeks to heal the break.



.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your wipe-out. Let me know about your plans. I know a few people in Baie Comeau. If I can be of any assistance, let me know. Regards - Marius

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Nance. Broken collarbone hurts like heck. Mike broke his before his Grad and was in a sling, and in quite a bit of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACK! Hopefully it heals quickly! Love reading the blog - miss you terribly! Hugs, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MAN... AFTER ALL THAT GRAVEL AND SPLT ROCK ON THE DEMPSTER THAT WE RODE LAST YEAR. I HATE RIDDING IN SAND IT'S GOT TO BE THE HARDEST STUFF TO RIDE IN

    HOPE YOU HEAL FAST TAKE CARE

    HOWARD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No Nance! I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you heal fast and are back on the open rod soo. Lots of love. Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap sis! So glad that you're O.K. Gotta love the carnage shots.Sand is just the worst to navigate in. Hope you heal fast and enjoy the east coast. Lots of love from the west. Your bro. j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were you so desperate for a hotel room that you hurtled yourself in a non-death throw off your bike????? Brilliant tactic!!

    So sorry about the break, but Glad you're alright...must be very very painful.

    Eat lots of bananas...Lots of Rest....Brent, be good to my Juggy!!
    Miss you lots and lots
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with "Holy Crap". I guess it could have been much worse . Thank god it's not a broken hip. Now you are trying to heal while at a hotel in Quebec. This can't be fun. Maybe you could take up suduko (a puzzel) or learn Spanish in preparation for your trip south. No, probably forget that in Quebec where French is first, English a distant second and Spanish is ? Love this blog, great pictures and stories. Take care .
    Hans & Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, A broken clavicle is no joke. That hurts!

    No doubt you used some creative and colourful language. Don't worry, your allowed too in that situation!

    Looking on the brighter side, it could always have been worse. You'll be all healed up and ready to go in no time.

    Take care out there,

    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nance! OMG - I just caught up with the events of your blog and I can't believe your accident.

    So happy to hear that you are alright though. I am thinking the inability to ride is more painful than the break right now.

    I love the comment about Brent's new found hair talent...hahah I can just picture him now with one finger caught in the hair elastic!!

    Take care of yourself, and make sure rest up.

    Luv ya, and miss you.xoxo

    P.S. Please continue to post Brent inspired hair photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nance - just catching up on your blog after a week or so. So sorry to hear of your accident, but glad it was minor and I'm sure you'll be back on your wheels (and feet) soon.

    Take care of yourself - lots of rest!

    LH

    ReplyDelete